CEREC is a dental acronym that stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramic. This innovative technology was designed to improve dental restorations. This process allows the construction of ceramic restorations in your dentist’s office. By removing the need for an outside lab, dental restorations are made convenient and affordable. This improvement is accomplished by eliminating the need for temporary restorations and multiple visits. The Artisan Dental team will prep and restore your tooth in one visit using this process.
Discovering The CEREC Process and How It Saves Time and Money
CEREC uses Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD) and Computer-Aided Imaging (CAM) technology to produce a perfect impression of your prepared tooth. This information is then fed into a unique CEREC crown mill that is located in our Madison, WI office. Using this information, the CEREC mill manufactures a perfect restoration in a matter of minutes. Then it’s just the process of placing it on your prepared tooth and securing it.
The steps involved in producing a CEREC dental restoration include:
- Exam – The first step is a scheduled exam at our offices. During this exam, our team will determine the appropriateness of a CEREC restoration. CEREC can be used to make fillings, crowns, and other forms of restorations. Once your need is determined, preparation can begin.
- Preparation – The next stage involves preparing the procedure site. This step typically begins with anesthetizing the area so the tooth can be cleaned, shaped, and readied for restoration. Your specialist will remove decay and irregularly shaped edges and the surface treated to improve adhesion.
- Optical Impression – A 3-dimensional image will be taken of the target tooth using the Primescan digital imaging technology. This part of the process eliminates the need for impressions taken using messy goop and uncomfortable trays. Instead, a clean, perfect digital image of your tooth is produced.
- Milling Unit – This information is fed into the CEREC milling unit. Based on the provided information, a ceramic restoration that is perfectly matched to your natural teeth is created in minutes. A variety of different color ceramic blocks are available, so the results perfectly match your teeth.
- Placement – The final step involves the placement and refinement of your restoration. In most cases, the resulting restoration will require no adjustment. This precision means our team can focus on bonding the piece in place and putting a final polish on it.
Once this process is completed, there’s no need for a return visit. Instead, you will have a functional and permanent restoration without any inconvenience. You can start using your restoration and schedule your next check-up.
Reach Out To Artisan Dental in Madison, WI To Learn More
Are you ready to see what our team of CEREC restorations experts can do for you? Contact us and arrange a consultation and exam today! After your visit, you’ll have a better understanding of your oral health and how CEREC can produce the best possible restoration for you. We look forward to seeing you in our office!